Thursday, September 30, 2010

We all need something to look forward to

We have all heard about the good of "staying in the moment".  When we stay in the moment, we become more aware and when we are more aware, we get more from the task at hand.  As much as this is true, we all need something to look forward to as well.

This thought came to me as I took Lindsay out to the van for her day program this morning.  Every morning for the last couple of months, one of the guys has told me exactly how many days it was until he went to Disneyland.  The concept of time may have been hard to understand but he definitely knew how many more days and he was so excited about going to California and that he might not come back because he liked it so much.  Well, he just came back this week and on Tuesday morning, I opened the van and he didn't say a word.  He was in the back of the van, head down and not a word when I said hello.  I immediately knew that he was probably down, like we all are when we come home from a vacation. Today, however, I looked in to say hi and he told he was going to Denver!  His excitement was back! I don't know the countdown yet, but I am sure he will keep me informed!

In her own way, Lindsay is the same.  Her ability to countdown the days or have a concept of time isn't there but she is the first to inform people that she gets to "go to the store" when she gets home or when she gets to  "go papas" or to see "my connie" or go "get burgers"! 

As much as our kids with special needs can stay in the moment, they also like all of us, enjoy having something to look forward to.  It puts a little more bounce in their step!

No comments:

Post a Comment