Thursday, October 21, 2010

Note to Self.....listen to my instincts and pray for those who have no people skills

Today I was reminded of some lessons!

Lesson #1:  Listen to my instincts with Lindsay, that I know her pretty well.

I had my reservations about how this MRI thing was going to work.  I knew that she wasn't going to be real cooperative unless she was asleep! As the process of getting her ready began, I could see her anxiety level increasing.  She had to take all of her jewelry off, she couldn't take her phone and she had an IV in her arm that really irriated her.  AND...... she didn't like the fact that she had to take off her "bew" (bra).  She quickly warmed up to the RN's by showing them a picture of Babygrr on my phone, at which time they showed  us pictures of their "babies" too! Everyone was happy.

Then came the time to go to the MRI room.  I noticed immediately that the technician wasn't real warm and fuzzy.  I explained that things would go smoothly if I could transition Lindsay and help her comfort level but was informed I couldn't even be in the room and must go to the waiting room.  Not five minutes later, she comes and tells me that the minute the machine started making noise, Lindsay tried getting out!  Hello! I told you so! So, after signing a consent form, I was allowed in the MRI, next to the big tube, equipped with ear plugs sitting by Lindsay. She had been given some drugs to relax her and we tried again.  Oh my gosh, I forgot how loud that thing is!  We managed through the first series of dings and dongs.  The tech had told me she could move her head, just so she didn't move her body.  The next series started and stopped and then the next.....and then the door opened.  "Did you see her move?" says the tech to me in a condensending way.  I said, "Her head moved but you said that was ok".....then she says "not during the exam and she moved her whole body", with much irritation as though it was my fault!   She then proceeds to tell me, "We only got one good scan if she is like this, this is going to take all day".  Not what I wanted to hear!  Lindsay then starts scooting out of her position, takes the oxygen out of her nose and says "I want to go".  Lindsay gives me the sign language for bathroom and knowing that she hasn't had anything to eat or drink since midnight and that we went just before we came in, I say to Lindsay, " you are ok", knowing it is her ploy to get out of the situation.  The tech looks at me and says in a irritated and questioning tone, "are you sure?". At which time, I say, "this isn't going to happen unless she is sedated" and the tech says, "so, are we done?"  Oh, I could have bopped her one! 

Lindsay pops off the MRI bed and she is happy and ready to "go to the store'!  She wins!  I am irritated at the tech, whose people skills need some training, at Lindsay for not cooperating and that it didn't work!   In reality, made at myself that I didn't listen to my instincts.  Lesson......I knew she would need to be sleeping if we tried this....."conscious sedation" wasn't going to cut it!

Lesson # 2 : Some people just don't get it

The MRI tech could have been having a bad day, I will give her that.  But, it became very evident she didn't have the patience or tolerance for any fluctuations in the procedures. She didn't show any empathy for how Lindsay must be feeling or that she didn't understand the whole process.  Lindsay doesn't realize the consequences of if she moves her body, the image will not be ok.  Not to mention, the loud sounds, the bangs, the earplugs, the headphones, not getting to wear her bra!  Too much for a girl to handle! 

So we go back to the recovery room. I am getting over my frustration and the RN tells me that Lindsay actually did fine and that she sees many people come in with no developemental delays that have to be sedated because of their anxiety level. Our RN was amazingly intuitive to Lindsay, was patient and so understanding.  Others that we encountered today need some extra prayers for people skills and patience.

Lesson #3: I am not alone

I take Lindsay to get some much delayed lunch and then "go to the store".  All is well with the world!  I hear a young lady in a loud voice say "mom, I am over here".  I can see that she has special needs and while we are picking out strawberries, this young lady says to me, "do you know me?"  I say "no, but you might know my daughter, Lindsay".  At which time, her mother comes over and says hi to us and tells us that "she talks to everyone". I give her my hand and introduce myself and Lindsay, at which time I see a hospital band on her wrist.  I ask her if she went to the doctor today too.  She says, "yes, and they pricked me", showing me her wrist and bandaid.  I tell her that Lindsay went to the same place today too!  Her mother explains and I tell her that we attemped to have an MRI today but that it didn't go so well.  Her mother tells me "oh yes, we have tried that too, and didn't have much luck either".  Amazing how the universe works!  It was just what I needed after a long day to help me realize......

I am not alone!

No comments:

Post a Comment