Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Lindsay is our little "post it" note

If we need a reminder to do something, go somewhere, get something at the store, we have our own little "post it" note !

She is amazing at remembering things, people and our routine!  She watches, she listens and remembers for us, usually without our asking for help.  She can watch my routine of cooking pasta, for example and knows that I need the pasta strainer, the special pasta spoon, the hot pad and most importantly, the parmesan cheese and she gets them out before I need them. She will listen to a conversation about what needs to be done during the day or what I have planned and if she hasn't seen those things happen, she reminds me.  I will often "think out loud" and she hears those thoughts, takes notes in her mind and reminds me as if I had just written those same thoughts down on a "post it" note!

It can be kind of irritating actually but probably more irritating for her when she reminds me and I don't do what I need to do!  I will say, "I need to iron those shirts", so like clock work, she reminds me every chance she gets to "iron those shirts" in her special sort of way.  I might not actually be ready to iron those shirts but by gosh, she is going to keep on reminding me until I do!  She definitely keeps me on track for checking off those "to do" items. 

And there are those times when, we are amazed, that without her remembering for us, we would have been without something we needed, forgotten things at the store, or had to make special trips.  She knows where I put my keys, when I have no clue.  She remembers that I forgot to put my earrings on that were  laying on the dresser. She will remind me at the store I forgot something I said we needed. And usually, she can't say the actual word but somehow gets me to understand the item I am missing!

This morning, my sister, Wendi and I were enjoying a cup of coffee and she said "I just need to go upstairs before I leave and brush my teeth".   Time passed, we were saying our goodbyes before her drive back to Denver and Lindsay pops up and gives her the sign language for brushing teeth.  Wendi and I looked at each other and just smiled in amazement.  Thanks Linds for reminding us of the little duties we can't seem to remember ourselves!

No comments:

Post a Comment