Monday, August 2, 2010

Things are sometimes not what they appear

First of all, thank you for all the kind words of support from everyone! I started journaling years ago, thanks to my Aunt Barbara, who gave me a journal when Lindsay was 6 months old. So thankful for that gift, as it holds precious memories of Lindsay and Taylor! Moments that would have easily slipped my mind otherwise.

In my first blog post,I shared a journal entry from December 2008. To follow up, I'd like to share with you about our day on January 4th, 2009.

It happened to be another Sunday morning and I was reading the paper, enjoying a cup of brew and heard a scream! I ran upstairs to find Lindsay having a terrible seizure. It was not like one we had ever experienced before. It was terrifying to watch and it seemed to be never ending. Even more disturbing was when the seizure stopped, she wasn't able to speak or react to us. She had a blank stare, was non-responsive and had also lost control of her bladder. Jerry had called 911 and by the time they arrived, Lindsay had started responding to us but then had another seizure while they were taking her vitals. I can still remember the three of us, Taylor, Jerry and I standing there, all with a blank stare as well. So surreal, was this really happening to our Lindsay?

As we followed the ambulance to the hospital, I had an "aha moment"! That morning in December had to have been just like this one! She had a bad seizure and we didn't know about it! Which terrified me in another way! She had experienced something tramatic that December morning, couldn't verbalize to us what had happened and then the frustration began for all of us as we tried to understand the way she was acting. She wasn't being stubborn or embarrassed, wanting things her way. Her body and mind were still reeling from a seizure!

Thankfully, to date, we have not had any more Sunday mornings like those. We have friends whose children experience those type of seizures often and I can't imagine!

I have heard the saying "to be kind to those around us" because everyone is experiencing something in the their lives we may not know about. We can be quick to judge or to think we know why, but in reality, things are not always what they appear to be.

Have a happy day!

No comments:

Post a Comment