Wednesday, August 8, 2012

I landed somewhere else yesterday

One of my first blogs I wrote about a poem we received when Lindsay was little. It uses the comparison of planning for a special trip to Italy with having a baby, all the preparations, the reading, etc. The poem then explains how things can change when you land. All those preparations for traveling to Italy suddenly get thrown out because you have found out that you landed in another country instead. Or in the case of our children, we find that we now have someone really special that we didn't know how to plan for.

Getting to the point, I landed somewhere else yesterday. Like other days, I had in my mind what my day looked like. Errands, stopping by to see a friend, etc. But our Lindsay has been having anxiety issues lately and we could tell the night before that her mind was working overtime on everyone and their schedule. Questions and more questions about who was going where, what the day was going to look like. Seems that no matter how many times we re-assure her, still more questions with the same answer. Her worrying had taken its toll, and walking out to the van for her day program, she had an anxiety attach. She lost her balance, got disoriented and had to sit down. After a few minutes on the sidewalk, we came inside and she laid down. I then realized how quickly my day had changed.

Admittedly, a little frustrated, a little out disoriented myself, I started thinking about rearranging my day. However, most of what I was going to do couldn't be done without leaving the house, so I ended up sitting with her and crocheted and napped, something I hadn't planned on doing at all.

What's the lesson here? Well, I am reminded often that nothing is for certain. We can plan or think we have control all we want.  No matter how much we try to be prepared, sometimes it just isn't going to go according to our plan. We can get pissy and frustrated or we can accept and go on, find the blessing in our new plan. Who knew that I would get so much done on a baby gift AND have time to take a nap too!

Jerry called a few times during the day to check in. He could sense a little frustration earlier in the day and when he came in the door after work, gave me a hug and said, "you were planning on going to Italy today, weren't you?" Made me laugh and smile and therein is my blog topic for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment